University of Idaho Department of English
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
University of Idaho
College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences
Department of English UI Hemingway Festival HIGH SCHOOL WRITING CONTEST
Sponsored by Quad Cities Nissan & UI Office of Alumni Relations
Open to all high school Juniors and Seniors | Submission Deadline January 15, 2016
Winners will be notified by February 15, 2016
Enter in any or all categories:
- Fiction/Creative Nonfiction –Including short stories, personal narrative, memoir, travel stories, journalism feature stories, etc.
- Academic Essay – Including research papers, etc.
- Poetry – Including individual poems and collections of up to 5 poems.
Submission Period: October 15, 2015 – January 15, 2016
Eligibility: Open to all high school Juniors and Seniors.
Entry Fee: FREE
Awards: Winners and Finalists will be recognized at the 7th Annual University of Idaho Hemingway Festival, and cash prizes will be awarded in each category. Winners will also be considered for publication in an online University of Idaho publication. There will be one winner and one Finalist in each category with one Overall Grand Prize Winner.
Quad Cities Nissan Prizes:
- UI Hemingway Festival Grand Prize Winner: $500 cash and a $50 Vandal Store gift card
- UI Hemingway Festival Prize in Fiction/Nonfiction: $75 cash and a $25 Vandal Store gift card
- Finalist in Fiction/Nonfiction: $40 cash and a $10 Vandal Store gift card
- UI Hemingway Festival Prize in Poetry: $75 cash and a $25 Vandal Store gift card
- Finalist in Poetry: $40 cash and a $10 Vandal Store gift card.
- UI Hemingway Festival Prize in Academic Essay: $75 Cash and a $25 Vandal Store gift card
- Finalist in Academic Essay: $40 cash and a $10 Vandal Store gift card.
The University of Idaho Office of Alumni Relations Local’s Prizes:
- UI Hemingway Festival Idaho Resident Prize: $200 and a $50 Vandal Store gift card. (Entrant must be an Idaho resident) *Eligible for grand prize and all categories.
- UI Hemingway Festival Latah County Prize: $200 and a $50 Vandal Store gift card. (Entrant must be a Latah County resident and is not eligible for the Idaho Prize) *Eligible for grand prize and all categories.
• Entries must be original, unpublished work. By submitting work to the contest, the student is confirming that he or she is the author.
• One submission per category only. Submissions may be uploaded in DOC, DOCX, or PDF formats.
• All submissions must be shorter than 1,500 words.
• Each submission must include the student’s name, high school, year of graduation, home address, and the submission category.
• Submissions are accepted ONLY through the online portal at https://uihemingwayfestivalwritingcontest.submittable.com
• Winners and Finalists must be present at the 7th Annual UI Hemingway Festival to accept awards. (March 2, 2016 – March 5, 2016.)
• Submitting to the contest signals agreement to all contest rules, assent to publication, and assent to public recognition as a winner or finalist in all University of Idaho electronic and print media.
Prize Restrictions and Conditions: Any and all applicable federal, state, and local taxes and all fees and expenses related to acceptance and use of prize not specifically stated herein are the responsibility solely of winner. Prize cannot be substituted, assigned, transferred, or redeemed for cash; however, Sponsor reserves the right to make equivalent prize substitutions at its sole discretion. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prizes or components of a prize. Only the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules is available to be won during the Promotion Period.
Entrants agree that Sponsor and Sponsor’s agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives or service providers may use Entrants’ personal information submitted with entry for purposes of prize fulfillment and/or for future marketing by Sponsor, such as to notify them of a product or promotion that Sponsor thinks may be of interest.
Fugue Literary Journal Editors and Hemingway Scholar and Professor of English, Ron McFarland